The first time I made these Christmas cookie pops it was 2012. I was making them for my kids to bring to their friends at pre-school. They were such a hit with everyone at home too, that they soon became a Christmas tradition for our family.
Flash forward 6 years and we are still making these delicious and very cute cookie pops to give to friends and family at Christmas time.
The great thing about these is that if you are time poor, you can make the cookie dough in advance and keep it in your fridge for a few days before using. Or you could freeze the dough and defrost it the day that you plan to make the cookie pops.
The recipe below makes approximately 16 large cookie pops, however if you use a smaller cookie cutter you may get more out of it.
You will need:
- Baking tray
- Baking paper
- Christmas cookie cutters (I used Wilton Christmas comfort grip, which are quite large cutters and great for cookie pops)
- Rolling pin
- Floured surface (I use a silicone pastry mat)
- Pancake or egg flipper
- Small cellophane lolly bags
- Christmas ribbon
- Sticky tape
- 300g Plain Flour sifted
- 150g Unsalted butter (softenend)
- 150g Caster Sugar
- 1 small egg beaten
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- Pinch of salt
- 250g Christmas M&M’s
- 16 Paddle Pop sticks
- Line a tray with baking paper
- Place the butter and sugar into a large mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer cream until it is light and fluffy
- Add the Vanilla Extract, beaten egg and salt to the bowl and mix well to combine
- Gradually add the flour and mix until it has combined and forms a dough
- Wrap the dough mix in cling film and chill for one hour
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celcius
- Break off a piece of chilled dough and roll it out onto a floured surface (approx 3-4mm thick)
- Dip your cookie cutter into flour to keep it from sticking to the dough
- Cut your first cookie
- Place the paddle pop stick at the bottom of the cookie over lapping 2cm onto the dough.
- Break off a small piece of dough and stick it over the paddle pop stick, sandwiching it in between the cookie dough’s
- Using your pancake or egg flipper, gently slide it under the cookie and carefully flip it and place it onto the baking tray
- Decorate with the Christmas coloured M&M’s
- Continue to make the cookie pops and space them approximately 2cm apart on the baking tray
- Place the cookies on the middle rack of your oven and bake for approximately 12 minutes or until they are golden
- Once the cookies are baked let them cool for 10 minutes before placing on a wire rack to completely cool
- Place the cookies in an airtight container.
- If you would like to gift them, place each individual cookie pop into a cellophane lolly bag and secure the end with sticky tape and Christmas ribbon
We hope you enjoy giving these gorgeous cookie pops as gifts. That’s if you don’t eat them all first 🙂
Don’t forget to tag us on Instagram with your cookie pop bakes at Stitch Bake Craft Make
We would love to see what you have made.