In our house celebrations mean baking cookies. We will use any excuse to get out the mixer and rolling pin and make some dough.
My kids love baking cookies because they get a chance to knead and shape the dough which is great for building strength in their hands. Unlike playdough the extra bonus with cookie dough is that they can then eat it afterwards.
Without even knowing it my kids are learning maths and solving problems as they measure the ingredients and add up what they need. They love the “messy play” as they mix the flour and make the dough. They both even like washing up all the utensils we have used because they get to play in the soapy suds.
After the cookies have been baked, they find it so satisfying to sit down to relax with a movie or a book. Munching on a couple of their delicious homemade cookies fresh out of the oven, combined with a cup of hot chocolate.
This cookie recipe is a great recipe for our Easter cookie cutters. I always make a double batch and freeze half the dough to have ready to bake for whenever we feel like creating and baking.
- 226g of unsalted cooking butter
- 1 1/2 cups of caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of rose water
- 2 3/4 cups of plain flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 packet of Smarties mini’s
- Easter shaped cookie cutters
- Pre heat oven to 180 deg celcius
- In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy
- Pour in the egg, vanilla and rose water and beat for 10 seconds
- Add 1 cup of flour, baking powder and salt and mix
- Gradually add the rest of the flour until it forms a dough
- Turn out onto a flour surface and divide into 2 balls
- Roll out the first ball until it is approximately 3mm thick.
- Dip cookie cutter into flour and cut out cookies, place onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Decorate with the smarties mini’s
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until cookies are golden
- Remove from oven and rest for 5 minutes
- Transfer cookies to a wire cookie rack until cooled
You can enjoy these cookies straight away or they should keep in an air tight container for 1 week.
From Gisella and her tow munchkins xx