Last week we were battling colds in our house and a beautiful friend dropped over some delicious vegetable soup. It was so hearty and full of flavour which was just what I needed to kick my cold.
So yesterday I decided that I would re create this delicious soup in my slow cooker. Whilst I caught up with folding the piles of washing that had mounted up after being out of action last week, my slow cooker cooked our dinner!
This recipe is so simple to make that it is great if you are time poor and looking for a quick, hearty and healthy meal. The vegetables could be cut up the night before to make it even quicker to put it on in the morning.
Imagine arriving home after a busy day and opening the door to the delicious aroma of your slow cooked meal. It has been busy cooking away for you, whilst you attend to other things.
All you have to do is serve it!!
- 3 Carrots peeled and chopped
- 3 celery sticks chopped
- 2 potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves diced
- 1 Cup of fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tin crushed tomatoes
- 1 tin of lentils (drained and rinsed)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt (add more for taste if required)
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper (add more for taste if required)
- 1/4 tsp ground chilli (optional)
- Add all of the above ingredients to the slow cooker.
- Pour warm water into the slow cooker so that it sits 2-3 cm below the “Max Fill” line.
- Turn the slow cooker onto high and cook for 4 hours (or low for 8 hours).
- After 4 hours taste the soup and add more salt, pepper and chilli if required.
- Ladle the soup into soup bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Serve with crusty sourdough bread.
Love from Gisella and her two munchkins xx